Tees Active School Swimming
Working in partnership with local schools Tees Active delivers fantastic school swimming programmes that are designed to help schools achieve the National Curriculum Standard for Key Stage 2 attainment target.
We work with children of all ages to offer them a comprehensive programme of learning which can feed into further opportunities in the water outside of the school environment.
Tees Active provides an intensive 10 day model.
The concept of students attending for 10 consecutive days (the intensive model) meets the objectives set out in the Swim England ‘Towards a Nation Swimming’ 2017-2021 strategic plan.
The National School Swimming Census in 2015 armed us with the knowledge that Nationally 45% of all primary school children aged 7-11yrs were unable to swim 25 metres unaided, which is the requirement for Key Stage 2.
The intensive model introduced in 2016 has supported behavior change and strong outcomes:
- Progress is a priority.
- School teachers have responded with praise & reported a growth in student confidence, development and value on going input regarding water safety.
- Data is recorded on all swimmers, tracking progress and development over the period.
All Tees Active teachers are:
- Swim England Level two qualified.
- Hold a current Disclosure and Barring Service check.
- Attended safeguarding training as well as regular refresher training.
- Attend update training in the form of Continuous Professional Development sessions, internal workshops, teacher observations for continuous improvements/development.
- ‘Every Child Matters’ and inclusion is key.
- Continuous assessment and quality teaching.
- Evaluation, monitoring and effective reporting essential.
- Aligns to Tees Actives proven teaching methodology.
- Maximise Key Stage 2 attainment, student confidence and key water safety messages.
- Tees Active teaches in excess of 16,000 school children each year.
- Students attend 10 consecutive days for three school terms.
- All students are taught to their ability level.
- All students will receive various certificates of achievement throughout the period and are used as motivational tool for children to recognise various levels of achievement.
- Tees Active co-ordinates transport to and from each venue.
- All students receive a complimentary swim voucher on gaining their 25m certificate of achievement.
School swimming research