Access For All
Tees Active operates alongside Partner For Change to provide a completely accessible and compliant service for all of our customers.
Find out more about Partner For Change here.
Depending on the nature of use and the areas visited, lighting in the centre is a mix of atmospheric, bright and natural light.
However, we have the following lighting that may need to be considered:
- Activity Hall
- This room has special effects lighting for fitness sessions – this lighting is disco, UV, flashing and LED.
- Ice Arena
- The Ice Arena has high level halogen lights used for Ice Hockey matches and some public skating sessions. In addition to this we also have installed disco lighting for our public skating sessions.
- Periodically we also hold UV parties in the Ice Arena – which complements our disco lighting.
- Further consideration needs to be given to the lighting effects of the vending and gaming machines in the Ice Arena.
- In the Atrium we have vending and gaming machines which have lighting effects on.
- We also have in the Atrium lights that operate on a day/night sensor – which at certain times of day turn on and off.
- Go Climb
- Several modules in GoClimb have lighting effects – which include flames, flashing lights, flashing indicators and LED’s.
Throughout the centre we have circulation/background music for customer comfort.
Fire Alarm Testing
- Periodically, we have soundings of the Fire Alarm – planned and unplanned. For planned soundings we make announcements to allow the customer to prepare.
Public Address System
- Periodically, we have to make announcements on our public address system in the centre – this is preceded by an audible tone to alert customers of the impending announcement.
- This area has several loud/noisy modules – which includes sirens, thunder, alarms, count downs to climb. For pre-booked sessions we can isolate this “noise” if requested in advance. If customers contact the centre we can nominate quieter sessions for participation to allow the “noise” to be turned off without affecting the majority of the users.
All toilets and changing areas have hair and hand dryers which create noise – these tend to be just after the point of entry to each area.
Periodically throughout the day staff operate several noise generating cleaning machines throughout the centre.
In the pool hall we operate a moveable floor which has an audible beep when moving to operational position.
During galas, we have a starting “siren” – this is preceded by an electronic countdown beep indicator.
In the Pool Hall, Ice Arena and all fitness rooms we have loud music for dance, skating and fitness classes.
In all accessible change rooms and nominated remote rooms we have emergency pull cords which sound at the main reception when activated.
In the pool hall the lifeguards blow their whistles to gain attention.
In the Ice Arena the ice hockey referees blow their whistles during games and practices – and there is an electronic siren used to start/stop the games.
The floors throughout the centre comprise of slate, tile, lino, carpet and rubber. Predominant colours are black, grey, cream and dark blue.
All lockers work with trolley tokens and £1.00 coins which are returnable. New pound coins are compatible with our lockers also.
GoClimb facility operate with the key only.
All lockers have wrist strap wrist bands.
Pictures to follow
Appropriate sportswear for the activity is required for each area.
Swimwear for pool; fitness clothing for fitness classes; in the Ice Arena, warm clothing that allows natural movement of body. Gloves are recommend for warmth and spare socks in case your socks get wet when skating.
- Fitness classes
- All equipment is provided for session by the centre which is required to take part in this activity.
- No equipment provided by centre unless customer taking part in specific programmed activity or in need of use of disability pool hoist/change.
- Ice Arena
- Centre has skates for hire if customers require these.
- Stability penguins and snowmen available for hire in general sessions (subject to availability).
- Dry Sports
- Rackets and squash balls/shuttle cocks available for hire/purchase from Main Reception.
We do not have a booking system for swimming at Billingham Forum. However, the pool has a number of different sessions available every day of the week. Have a look at the pool timetable on our website to make sure you pick the right session for you.
There is also no booking system for the Ice Arena. However, again there is a timetable with a variety of sessions available every day of the week. The Ice Arena timetable can be viewed on the Ice Arena website.
GoClimb does have a booking system due to the limited number of people we can accommodate. The booking system can be accessed on the GoClimb website as well as our carers policy.
Good times to come
If you contact the centre we can let you know the best times to come as a family, when it’s busy and when it’s quiet for your preferred activity.
Events are listed on our website and automated phone message in a timely manner – at least 7 days’ notice. Where a closure is less than 7 days we reinforce this via our Facebook & Twitter feeds and internal notices.
Can you create a low sensory time?
Upon request, information on the most suitable sessions/times based on their individual needs can be given to the customer.
Pictures to follow
The centre has individual, group and village style changing and toilet facilities.
There are individual shower/toilet change facilities in all areas (dry, gym, ice, pool and sauna – and on the first and ground floors). We also have a Carers Change room that allows individuals to change in a comfortable space – this room includes a change hoist and bed.
Pictures to follow
Changing rooms and toilets smell of cleaning products, air fresheners where fitted and personal hygiene products.
Signage to all areas is words (large print) and pictorial.
We also have lockers with braille on.